Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Observations of Amsterdam

Psalm 144:14 "...Happy are the people whose God is the Lord."

Most people are well aware of the policies, politics and practices of the Nation of Holland and especially those of the city of Amsterdam. This beautiful Dutch city located on the coast of the North Sea is known for its "tolerance" of deviant ideas and prinicples (ie. same-sex marriage, legalization of marijuana and prostitution) One would think that allowing people to "do whatever they want" would make them the happiest people on the planet--but what I found was exactly the opposite!

Once I arrived back in the States and began to preview some of the pictures that were taken by the team, I noticed once striking similarity amongst them--very few people ever smile! Another thing is that when we would say, "Hello" to a person that more often than not we were met with a sinister or at best a very reluctant "hello" in return.

This is especially interesting in light of the manner in which satan and this world attempt to lure people into the snare of sin.

Modern culture is rife with such misguided slogans as: If it feels good, do it and Live and let live. Yet, in a Nation who has espoused this type of ideology and in a City where the offical flag (above left) is marked by "XXX" those who live daily within the borders of this "Great Land of Feedom" appear less than a shining example of happiness, joy and contentment.

As a teenager growing up I often got upset when my parents wouldn't allow me to do "whatever I pleased-whenever I pleased." I thought that they were trying to systematically ruin my fun and as a reuslt- my very life! "How unfare!" I would often exclaim when not allowed to join friends on a night out. "You just don't want me to be happy!" was another proclamation that I would declare.

Proverbs 29:15 tells us, "The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother." If the consequences of a child without correction are the shame of a doting mother, what then the consequences of a City or Nation allowed to throw caution to the wind and partake of whatever they would desire?

I think a picture is certainly worth a thousand words and the faces of the above inhabitants of this "Unrestrained Culture" most assuredly tell a tale of the fruit of unrighteousness in the City of Amsterdam.

Proverbs 14:34 "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people."

No comments: