Monday, July 23, 2007

Who does your FAITH say that HE is?

It was a Wednesday Night and I was scheduled to minister in Violet, Louisiana at my friend, Pastor Terry Hammet's church. What was funny is that I was not scheduled to preach--but to sing! The State Bishop for the Church of God Louisiana was to speak at his church that evening and he had asked me to do a couple of "special songs."
.
Violet is a small bedroom community in St. Bernard Parrish--located about a 45 minute drive from my house west of downtown New Orleans. As we made our way towards the church, the traffic on I-10 eastbound came to a complete halt! We soon realized that there was no way that we would be able to make the service so I called Pastor Terry and told him that I would have to cancel.
.
We quickly found an exit off of the gridlocked expressway and began winding through backstreets to make our way home. It was about 7:05 PM when we drove past the First Assembly of God Church of New Orleans as Melanie said, "Hey, let's just go there since we're dressed for church." I quickly pulled into the parking lot and could see that the service had already began.
.
No sooner than I gathered up my bible to head towards the door the Holy Spirit dropped a word in my spirit for the church. I thought to myself, "How would I ever be able to give this word here. These people don't know me." Trying to dismiss the notion that I would be sharing the word that night, we made our way in and found our seats in the middle section about fourn rows back.
.
Withing a few minutes it seemed as though the pastor was tryign to say something to me from his seat on the stage. He appeared to be looking straight at me and was mouthing something that I couldn't understand. I struggled to figure it out and then just decided to walk up to the side of the platform to see what he wanted with me.
.
As I walked up and leaned into where he was sitting he said, "Are you ready to preaching tonight? The Lord spoke to me and said that you had the word for this church tonight." Suprisingly I was not at all stunned and quickly responded, "Yes I am always ready to preach." He said, "Go get you Bible and sit up here with me."
.
I preached that night and have since preached there on a number of occassions. The date was November 3, 2004 and the title of the message was "Who does your FAITH say that HE is." I was going through a box recently and found the tape and immediately was reminded of the message. It was very timely for them then--and I believe that it is timely for all of us now.
.
Sometimes "changes in plans" (like getting stuck in a traffic jam) will cause our faith to waver. It is easy to get discouraged when things do not go the way that they probably should have--but in the midst of "changes" one thing NEVER changes---Jesus Christ! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever!
.
Today is July 23rd and I was scheduled to leave for Amsterdam today to spend a week sharing Jesus with those in the infamous Red-Light District where prostitution and marijuana consumption have been legalized. As you have probably guessed--the plan has changed and I will not be leaving for Amsterdam any time soon. It was not because it was "not God's will" or that the "timing was all wrong." No--it just came down to economics---I just did not have the financial resources to go. We are missionaries. We depend upon the generosity (and obedience) of others who God has blessed financially to invest in the Kingdom Work that we do for Jesus. This time the investment just did not come.
.
Am I disappointed? Sure I am. Not because I feel let down personally, but because I know that there will be thousands of people passing through that place this week and there will not be anyone to stop them and offer them the life-producing transformation which is a relationship with Jesus. I hurt for the lost.
.
We also had an opportunity this past week to get another van. Ours is pretty much worn out. It is definitely a "faith vehicle!" It shakes in ways that it was not designed to and make noises that it probably shouldn't. We could have replaced it with a good used van for $3995--but once again it was an issue of economics. No dough---no go.
.
Times like these truly cause you to keep your focus on that which is really important---your relationship with Jesus. I am so blessed that He is not shaken by circumstances and that He is not moved by financial shortfalls. He is the Rock on which I stand. I want my testimony and my faith to declare just that:
.
Psalm 91:77 "A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you."
.
My faith cannot (and will not) be based upon what I SEE, but upon what my God has SAID! I have placed the link to this message below so that you can hear it. I think it will be a great blessing and encouragment to you!
.

1 comment:

RAVEN Deb said...

As i get the RV ready to cross God's country i am believing in Him to make provision for this trip. That i am ready for the people He puts in my path, and an abundance to share as i go. Amen. He is always there for me. That is the way it is. Amen.